Friday, October 25, 2013

Halloween Dangers to Pets

There are plenty of ways to find trouble on Halloween, particularly if left alone with a bag full of goodies. Chocolate is more harmful to pets than any other candy. In general the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it can be. Symptoms in dogs that have ingested chocolate can include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy or agitation, elevated heart rate, and in severe cases seizures.

The candy itself isn't the only threat--ingestion of foil and cellophane wrappers can in some cases cause life threatening bowel obstructions, which often require surgical intervention.

If you suspect your pet has ingested any of your Halloween treats, please contact your veterinarian.

Jane Bishop, VT
800-213-6680
www.petpoisonhelpline.com